Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Something old is new all over again....

I have an appreciation for old things that still work. Maybe because back in the day companies cared more about their long term reputations than making short term record profits. Things were made better - better quality materials and made in the USA.  So every now and again when I want to buy a "new" item that I never had before I often look to see if the same product was produced 20-40 years ago. And then I look to buy it used on craigslist or ebay.  You'd be surprised how some of the oldest versions go for as much as the newer used items or even brand new. Why? - quality in design and materials and longevity - plus a little nostalgia.

My newest purchase is an old Coleman 2 burner camp stove 316G. The green metal suitcase style that runs on white gas.  I bought it for $20 on craigslist.  Coleman has been the main (or only) producer of these style of stoves since the 1920's. Mine was made in the late 60's.  Campers kind of talk about their vintage camping gear like old men talk about their classic cars. I can't wait to buy some fuel so I can see if this thing fires up right away or if it's going to need some tweeking after being stored in someone's garage rafters for 10-20 years.

You'll  find plenty of blogs and discussion boards with people looking to date their "new" purchase or find replacement parts.  That's the part that's my favorite - that there are people willing to fix and maintain these items. We live in a society that has the "in with the new- out with the old" mentality. I can't help get a little angry when people throw out something that still has plenty of life left in it simply because they want the newest and latest.  Just take a trip to your local dump. (I always say dump and not landfill- landfill sounds too nice. The term dump is more literal)  You'll be amazed how many things people throw out for no other reason than it's old.  At least donate it to a local thrift store.  Someone who will appreciate it's function and craftsmanship pick it up and put it to good use.  Or better yet sell it on craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment